Accelerated Learning Program

Accelerated Learning Program (ALP)

Mission Statement:

The Accelerated Learning Program (ALP) in the Composition Program at KCC is designed to facilitate the transition into college composition for students whose educational records indicate that they may need additional support to succeed in Composition I. ALP is predicated on the belief that students can thrive academically and rise to significant literacy challenges when given adequate individual attention and instruction from faculty. By fostering a supportive small community within the larger Composition I class, ALP provides a safe space for students to learn together, grow together, and support each other under the guidance of their instructors. The goal of ALP is to help students achieve the learning outcomes of Composition I, including submission of a passing writing portfolio, thereby reinforcing their role as critical readers, writers, and thinkers in the college community.

Background of ALP in Composition I:

In Spring 2013, Kingsborough began to pilot a variation of the Accelerated Learning Program instituted at the Community College of Baltimore County. Five “ALP” sections of English 12 included some English 93-level students who received additional instruction with their Composition instructor. Over time, the ALP program became open to more students.  All ALP sections of Composition I participate in collaborative portfolio assessment.

About English 12A0: Composition I – ALP:

• English 1200: Composition I and English 12A0: Composition I – ALP are equivalent courses; students who pass English 12A0 will receive credit for Composition I.
  • There is no separate, additional, or different assessment for ALP students. Instead, the entire class will participate in collaborative portfolio assessment. 
  • The purpose of the two-hour ALP session is to support ALP students’ progress and to prepare them to pass the final portfolio.
  • ALP sessions will include individualized activities to meet the students’ needs and might include conferences, additional peer review, or deeper/slower work with a challenging text.

ALP Next Course Placement Summary

Eng 12 Grade Next Course
Pass English 2400
Fail English 1200
W / WD / WN / WU      English 12A0

English 12A0: Composition I – ALP: Frequently Asked Questions 

1- How do students place into English 12A0: Composition I – ALP?

Students with a Proficiency Index of 64 or below can register for English 12A0, though advisors strongly encourage students with scores of 49 or below to first participate in the Immersion Program and/or CUNY Start where appropriate and possible.

2- Should instructors announce to the whole group that some students will have additional hours of instruction?

It’s your preference whether or not to explain that some students will have an extra two hours of class each week. Some faculty announce it on the first day, while others wait until it comes up during class.  

3-  Are the ALP students the only ones in the class who participate in portfolio assessment? 

NO.  All students, ALP and non-ALP, are evaluated by portfolio assessment. ALP students are Composition I students and should not be evaluated differently from the rest of the class. 

4-  Do students in the ALP program understand why they are receiving extra class time? 

Now that some students register without the guidance of an advisor, they may not know why they were placed into ALP.

ALP replaces the previous developmental model where students would take stand-alone non-credit courses until they passed the CATW. ALP gives students who just missed the entrance requirements for Composition I the extra support they need to pass the portfolio while allowing them to receive credit.   

5-  Do ALP students take the CATW at the end of the semester?

No. As of Fall 2017, ALP students stopped retaking the CATW. All students are now assessed by Collaborative Portfolio Assessment.  

6- Must I maintain two Blackboard environments for my English 1200 and English 12A0 classes?

No. Post your course materials in the English 1200 course shell as the entire class will have access to it.

7-  Does ALP have a different curriculum that must be followed?  

No. Your ALP section should follow the same suggested course structure as all other sections of Composition I. The additional two hours of instruction will give you time to preview and review the English 12 assignments and coursework.

8- How can you ensure students attend the two supplemental hours of instruction?

In the past, students had to sign a contract that stated their grade in Composition I was contingent upon their ALP attendance. It was used when the ALP class did not appear on the students’ schedule and was the only record that the student was taking ALP  

With this information in mind, faculty suggest the following strategies to deal with attendance issues in the ALP class:

• Make sure the supplemental hours provide productive instruction to help students pass the Composition I portfolio. Instructors report better attendance when the class directly relates to the goal of passing the portfolio.
  • Be sure your syllabus explicitly explains that participation and attendance in ALP are directly linked to passing the class. In addition, be clear that only students who have completed a specified amount of work will even be eligible to submit a portfolio.
  • Take attendance during the ALP sessions so students know that you value their presence in the class.   

Files (Click to Download):

script> jQuery(document).ready(function(){ jQuery('ul#menu-footer li:not(:last)').after(''); });
Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message