English 12, our Freshman English I course, is a required three-credit course that meets four hours per week. It is an introductory course in college-level reading and writing emphasizing the development of ideas in essays, including how language communicates facts, ideas, and attitudes. This course teaches writing as a process involving revision based on feedback from readers. Students learn how to develop college-level essays through close reading and intertextual analysis — reading across and between texts drawn from various disciplines.
The documents below outline our curriculum structure and indicate the information that should be included in your courses syllabus. We are also providing sample syllabi and assignments. Please let us know if you have any questions or ideas for additional resources. You can also post your suggestions/comments in the comments section below.
Files (click to download):
- Current Capstone Rubric
- English 12 Curriculum Structure
- English 12 Sample Syllabus 6-week
- English 12 Sample Syllabus 12-week
- English 12 Syllabus Template
- Sample Capstone Assignment on Education- Handout
- Sample Capstone Assignment on Immigration-Handout
- Student Learning Outcomes for English 12
- Info on NC grade